Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday Dinner

Yesterday was the big Sunday dinner with Karina’s family. But I first want to preface all this by saying I have had a bad cold (so we were glad that we couldn't visit the baby house) and with about an hour left in our trip to the Eurasian Center I developed the equivalent of Montezuma’s revenge. Kurt said it was the food at lunch – I thought maybe the water – not sure if they gave me bottled water in a glass (I assumed) or tap water. Okay so back to yesterday – I wake up not feeling well – Kurt and his iron constitution went out for a 4 mile run so he is obviously fine. We call Baha, Karina’s ‘brother’ (actually cousin) and say maybe it’s not a good idea to come to lunch but if Karina’s mother has everything already prepared then we will come. He calls and checks and of course she has everything all prepared. So at noon Baha picked us up at our apartment along with his cousin Adil. We drive to another section of town and are greeted at the door by five family members – all grinning and giving us big hugs. Turns out the group consisted of Karina’s mom, Gulia, Karina’s mom’s sister, Zaure, the third sister’s husband, Uncle Shamrat, teenage cousin (who’s parents died) Asamat, and babushka – granny Tishjan. Granny is 80 and a trip - she gave us the biggest hug when we walked in. So we were immediately seated in the living/dining room (the whole flat is this room plus a small kitchen, hall and 2 small bedrooms). The spread looks great – smoked salmon, cheese, olives, nuts (dad would have loved this!), some meat, a carrot and cabbage dish (sort of kimchi like), tomatoes and cucumbers, mutton dumplings, beet mash and red caviar. So the two sisters (Karina’s mom and aunt) immediately start filling our plates with food and they don’t stop. We’d eat one dumpling and two more magically appear on our plates. I felt like I was at my grandmother’s house in NC. So obviously my gluten free diet went out the window since I wasn’t about to offend our hosts. We tried everything – including what turned out to be horse meat – yup – we did (sorry all you veggies out there). I was trying to get away with just eating one piece and Gulia put two more pieces on my plate. I ate the smaller one and was going to leave the other but babushka would tap my arm and point to my plate as if to say ‘eat eat’ so… I did. The other thing they kept doing was pouring vodka in our glasses. There was a lot of toasting and everytime someone was getting ready to toast more vodka ended up in front of us. I kept saying ‘nmnoga’ (a little) and they would repeat it as they continued to pour – ah well. I will note that the women drank Bailey’s on the rocks and not vodka (they also had cognac). We spent the next 7 hours (seriously!!) eating and talking (Baha was the interpreter for everyone). Over the course of this we have been invited to Uncle Shamrat’s house next Sunday for dinner and to go horseback riding with them on Saturday afternoon. Uncle Shamrat has also decided that he will put together a cultural expedition for us so that we may learn more about Kazakhstan. Kurt and I were thoroughly amazed at this spectacle of generosity and kindness and there was still more to come. Karina’s mom had bought me a traditional metal, jeweled belt and they put it on me and then indicated that I should move like a belly dancer, I obliged and this sent them into a fit of giggles. They ushered me into the living room so that I might demonstrate this talent for Kurt. Somewhere along the evening we were told that it had snowed and that my wool coat was simply not going to be warm enough. We tried to explain that we brought layers but to no avail. Gulia (we kept thinking about the movie ‘The Wedding Singer’ – since they said we could call her Julia if it was easier – Julia Gulia – we explained that was a character in a movie) goes to her closet and pulls out a fur coat saying that I must wear it while in Kaz. I tried to say that she was too generous and that surely she needed it but apparently she has a few more so…check out the picture. They also said that if Kurt leaves and I stay that I should stay with them. Babushka underlined this statement by pointing at me and then slapping the seat of the couch. So sweet. By the way – did I mention that we’re going bowling with them all on Wed too. Seriously!!
Karina's mom w/us Picture at top of page: back row l-r: Baha, me, Kurt, Gulia (Karina's mom) front: Babushka, Uncle Shamrat, Aunt Zaure

4 comments:

Corey, Erik, Siena & Alistair Halls said...

Doesn't horse taste just like beef???

What could be better than to experience your child's culture first hand and report it back to him with smiles when he is older. Yeah!

I'm glad things are going so well. One week down, how many more to go??

Corey :)

Caryn said...

Sounds like you had a blast with them - that should make staying there without Kurt a bit less daunting! You'll have to bring them some traditional American fare . . . bubble gum, heavy metal music, fast food . . .
Love, Caryn

Anonymous said...

Hey y'all!

Sounds like an educational trip in several ways! What a handsome little fella. Does he know lots of folks in the USA are waiting for him??

Have you made your decision about staying or returning, Chandra.

Take care. Love,

Wendy, Nick & Emmett said...

Chandra & Kurt -
For the last hour I have read every bit of the blog and now I'm soaking all this in...I should not be surprised at how often you blog but I still was! What a treat for all of us to live through this wonderful experience with you three. Thank you for the energy you put into journaling each day.
Frist off, how incredible to have bonded with Serik this past week. He knows how much he's loved by you two - Just by the fact that he wants to be touched by you when you visit him. What a special time for you three.
I'm sure you will share what the decision was on coming home or staying. Go with your gut, sweety. And remember, you have friends back home to help with arrangements.
I hope this finds you both feeling healthy. Such a trooper to attend the memorable lunch while not feeling well!! Sounds like it was well worth it.
Love you guys,
Wendy, Nick & Emmett