Sunday, November 16, 2008

Circus Circus

It has been very foggy lately and that has kept the temperatures pretty mild (all things considered - mid 30s). We decided to take a little walk around the block around lunch time and it had gotten chilly. All the moisture from the fog has frozen on the trees and made it look like a winter wonderland. We were only outside for about a half an hour as Serik wasn't terribly thrilled about the endeavor. After lunch Murat picked us up to head to the Circus. We had been to the circus two years ago and thought it might be fun to take Serik. We invited Irina and Gaha to join us in taking in the Moscow Circus at the Kazakhstan Circus building. The circus building looks like a space ship and when we arrived they were entertaining children before the circus began. By entertaining I mean doing things that probably wouldn't be allowed in the U.S. The rides on the horses and camels is was pretty run of the mill - it was the strap the kid in a harness and fly them up to the ceiling at least 50ft above. They had decorated the ropes/rigging to make it look like the kids were going up/down in a parachute or being lifted by balloons. I think there would have to be a large amount of insurance coverage to handle that. We found our seats and Serik sat on our lap. The infamous dancers/Vegas showgirls came out to the music of the band and then the circus began. Serik was enraptured! Loved it - although occasionally covered his ears because it was a bit loud. Highlights of the show include: dangling rope artists (is there a name for that profession - I'm going to twirl around on a rope that's 50 feet in the air holding on only with my teeth), dancing poodles and cats, skateboarding bears, balancing acts, lasso/whip cracking cowboys and our personal favorite: the boxing kangaroo. The kangaroo knocked the snot out of the guy it had to share the ring with. Can't say I blame him - I'd do it to if I was a kangaroo and subject to the indignity of wearing a tutu and boxing gloves. After we walked to the Mega Mall and grabbed a quick bite, people watched and then made our way home. Tomorrow we have a 10 am visit with Sasha and will work with our coordinator to prepare for court in the afternoon.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hi Can't believe it was a real kangaroo! Looks like you all had a really fun time today! Glad to see it! Hope you have a good night too!
Love, Beth and Jason

Mom in the Mountains said...

I am having such fun following your adventures! Great news to be home by Christmas! The kids are adoarable, how old is Sasha? I just want to pinch her little cheeks.

Caryn said...

Hysterical! Sounds like a great adventure! Love, Caryn