Monday, November 24, 2008

Paper pushing

We once again had our morning visit with Sasha and she now smiles at us when she hears us call her name when we call to her from the door of the baby room. Serik loves to go in the baby room with us to get her and coos and squats down to her level. Once we get to the playroom however it's a different story. He's getting very jealous. If she grabs a toy or we put her in the swing he instantly wants to do what she's doing or have what she has. There's lots of 'mommy' in a very sad, whining voice. So we make sure to do plenty of snuggling with him and shower him with affection. He went to the bathroom with me at the baby house (I went he watched - his new thing) and said ' I don't want baby Sasha' - he's getting his point across. We've been working on it slowly but surely. When we dropped her at the end for her visit I thought they would put her to bed per usual but instead found out she was in line for a 'massage'. Just to put it in perspective for you - I had a massage when I was here last time and it was bloody painful. Looks equally painful for the babes and they seem to agree. I was not excited for her to have one - no matter how therapeutic they might think it is. Speaking of the Kazakh belief system: When we went out to dinner the other night with the crew they were surprised that Serik drank his milk cold. Irina said if, 'I was to drink a cold glass of milk right now than tomorrow I would for sure have a cold'. We just smiled. After the baby house it was lunch and a nap and then we were picked up to get some papers notarized since Kurt starts his trip home tomorrow. We combatted boredom while waiting with Russian lessons (me) and games on the stairs (Kurt and Serik) - see pic below. Then we walked to the Tsum (again our coordinator thought we were crazy to walk since we would get cold), had tea and then made our way to Respublika. On the way we walked along the Ishim river (where Kurt and I lived last time) and took some pictures of the city (bottom of this post) and of Serik next to the statue of Kenisari Han. (see top pic and right) We then got to Respublika so Kurt could pick up his e-ticket for Air Astana. He flies to Almaty tomorrow evening and will be in the states Wednesday evening. He recuperates for 2 days before having to fly to Chicago for work. Huge bummer. Really wanted him to stay the whole time but duty calls. He finishes in Chicago on Thu flies back to Mpls and then back to Kaz on Friday the 5th. He should arrive here the morning of the 7th via Almaty. This is good since we're hoping to get custody of Sasha on the 5th. Irina is going to help me out while Kurt is gone so that will be nice to have both help and more importantly company. Serik and I plan to have Thanksgiving with the American/Ukrainian couple. They US Embassy had a shipment of meat/poultry flown in. Well it was actually flown into the US Air base in Kyrgyzstan and driven up from there. So the folks were able to put in orders for hot dogs, steaks, turkey etc. Posting might be a little slower since I'll have to have Irina watch Serik while I run post so bear with me. And remember the ice fishing? Well, they're at it again - although I have to say, wouldn't get me out on the ice just yet even though it's been cold. A couple cute things Serik has said lately - After court while walking to the baby house to visit: "It's a beautiful day. The sun is shining, the moon is shining and I'm sooo happy'. Last night: 'Mommy, I love snuggling with you - it's fun too." "Serik are you ready to eat yet?" "Almost, on Friday". It's Monday today..... he might get hungry before Friday. :) While riding in the car: "Daddy, don't put your energy in mommy." "Daddy, don't put your energy in that house." And no - we have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Singing: "yes, yes, yes, yes it's time to go on the big boy toilet." side note - have now made the blog 'open' so one last step to check in.

2 comments:

Maureen Powers said...

I'm a little late here, but Congrats to the Hammond Family of Four! Hoping that the remainder of the process is smooth sailing from here on out!

Keely Stansberry said...

Have a great Thanksgiving. So great that Sasha will be with you soon. Kai and Trent say "hi" to all of you. Looking forward to meeting the little sweetie and seeing Serik.