Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Gorky Park

Tuesday we decided to go to Gorky Park. The park, besides being a park, also houses the zoo, an aqua park, kiddie ride land (making up that name) and other attractions.
Our driver thought that maybe the kiddie rides would be open but no such luck. We made our way through the park past the aqua park to the 'zoo'. I use the quotes because this place was a cross between Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and I don't know what.
It was a bummer to see the animals in pens/cages that were too small for them. Most of the animals had been brought in for the winter so animals like the crocodiles and lions had to have been less than thrilled with their smaller winter homes. I think that some of the big birds - eagles, vultures, etc. got the best deal as they have nice big domed cages.
It was cold wandering around and we ended up popping into the Lion house to warm up. I was snapping a few pictures and was immediately accosted by a woman draped in rabbits and guinea pigs. She said something about getting a photograph taken - at first I thought she was talking about us having to pay to take pics but then I realized that you too (or your child) could be draped in scared animals for the low, low, cost of 50 tenge.
Serik and Kurt walked away and as I was unwrapping Sasha a rabbit was dropped in her lap and a man started snapping away. Okay. Thanks for dropping the rabbit on my kid's newly cleaned snow suit. The guy showed me the pics on the digital screen and I said, 'maybe later'.
Little did I know that we would be accosted again in the 'aquarium' (see pic of what constitutes an aquarium), and the reptile/small mammal house (how those two fit together I don't know).
A lady with a little blue cockatiel accosted us with little slips of paper to buy for 50 T. I thought at first that they were packets of bird seed and you could feed the bird and take a picture with it. Turns out they were little prayers or sayings (we think). She, like everyone else, was fascinated that Serik and Sasha were our children and had 50 million questions about us. Tried my best to answer while simultaneously trying to disengage and catch up to Kurt who had snuck away with Serik.
We wandered around for an hour or so checking out the various 'exhibits'. While I fed Sasha in the reptile house Kurt and Serik checked it out. Kurt marveled at how there were all sorts of spaces between the glass and the walls for little animals to escape. I was amazed at that and the fact that some of the outside enclosures for things like alligators or lions only had 3 ft walls or flimsy barriers between the animals and humans. Guess they assume that the 'warning' signs they have posted will be enough protection.
The rest of the day was filled with naps and grocery shopping. I'm getting a good workout carting groceries home 6 blocks every other day. I was followed home yesterday by a sweet dog who could smell my food. Poor thing wanted to take her home too but Kurt figures one new addition right now is enough.
Plan to hit the Tsum and Green market again today. Tomorrow is our doctors appointment and then there's a chance that our embassy appointment will be switched from Monday to Friday. IF so that would mean we'd fly home on Sunday instead of Tues. Will keep you posted should know either today or tomorrow. Will leave you with pics of the kiddos from dinner last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys-
Glad to hear that you are having fun seeing the sights in Almaty. But Kurt's face in that picture says "Enough Chandra - let's get out of here!". Hope you get to come home sooner than expected!
Hugs and kisses,
The Brabsons

PK said...

Can't wait to see you guys and meet the latest additions.

Smooch
PK