Friday, December 22, 2006

More Randomness and Good News!







Ok so a few more random thoughts and an apology for a lame last post - I was so tired the other day that all I wanted to do was go to sleep.
First off: they don't salt the roads ot the sidewalks which is great for the cars but not so great for people trying to walk. They have put sand down once and it was right before Independence Day - other than that it's slip sliding away. I've gotten really good at hunting out the packed snow to walk on so that I don't land on my butt.
Second: Bathrooms - have forgotten to fill you all in on the public bathrooms. Won't be much of a suprise for anyone who has traveled to Europe or Asia before. 20 tenge (about 10 cents) gets you 3 squares of grade school quality tp and some porcelain treads bordering a porcelain hole in the floor. I've had this luxury before in Italy - thankfully no emergencies which if I remember correctly is a bit of a different story for my dad (sorry dad). I've only run into the hole in the ground here once though. The toilet at the baby house doesn't have a seat or tp so it's 'squat and shake' if you've forgotten your tp (i rarely forget). The other day I was thinking - 'gee this bathroom smells awfully familiar' turns out that damp, clorox smell brought me back to cleaning the jons at Camp Huckins. Can't believe that I can't even remember what the name we used for 'chores' was there - pititful of me. Our toilet and paper in the apartment is perfectly fine save for the padded toilet seat with the lovely floral print-I've gotten used to the padding. It's always a bit of a shock when I'm visiting a friends house and sit on a hard seat.

Third: The sweep the snow off the sidewalks here. The city does come around and plow the roads every once in a while and then a crab like machine picks up the piles of snow from the side of the streets.But as far as the sidewalks and parking lots it's all about man power. The parking lots usuall have two people working to clear them out - 1 shoveling snow into a sled and the 2nd watching and then dragging the sled away.
Fourth: Don't know if I've mentioned this or not but instead of using strollers in the snow they use something that looks like a carseat ontop of a sledand pull/push them around that way. Makes a ton of sense since the sidewalks are never not covered with snow/ice in the winter.
Walked around the city yesterday taking pics in a snow squall. Tried to get one of a police officer but he said no. They pull people over here using a fire engine like horn and a loudspeaker. The whole world knows you're getting pulled over and why.
Had a good visit with the boy yesterday -relatively uneventful which is the best kind.
Today I spent several hours running around the city on foot to try and gather souvenirs just in case we get custody tomorrow. Good thing I did because I found out that tomorrow a.m the little guy is all ours. Feel sort of sad for the caregivers- I'm sure they'll miss him. Took a pic of one of my favorites with him today before I left. She asked me to get a copy to her - which I'll try to do before I leave. Serik was tired today and spent the last 35-40 minutes of the visit cashed out on my tummy - first time he's fallen asleep with us. He's threatened to before but never has. One other note to the Brabsons - I know how great you thought it was when Kurt and I got the poopie diapers and you never had one- guess what-your precious little girl decided to grace us with the mother load when we picked her up. Fabulous. Irina attempted to change her but it was so lovingly caked on that she gave her to the caregivers. I did, however get a pic for you- enjoy. Note to everyone else - it's gross so try to cover your eyes.
Well folks....this is the last post until Kurt gets here with the computer. I may try to swing a post or two with the boy will see how we both adjust. Know that I'm thinking of you all and can't wait to see you all soon and have you meet our precious boy. Have a safe and Merry Christmas and a belated Happy Hannukah!



To the right is the Astana City Hall and an old Russian era truck.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

As I am reading your post on Friday a.m. in the US, I'm thinking Serik is all yours now! So exciting!! What a spectacular Christmas present. I cannot wait for you guys to get home so I can meet him in person. Merry Christmas!!

wpaleighann said...

So happy for you! Trusting all is going as it should and know you are going to do great with Serik. Blessings to you and may this be the most magical Christmas ever!

Love,
Leigh Ann

b2000 said...

Hi, Chani,
Congratulations on receiving custody!
Hope you have a happy holiday!
Love, Beth and Jason

Keely Stansberry said...

AWESOME news! We are elated that baby S is with Mom officially! What a great feeling and I am sure very emotional! We are so excited to meet him and see you 3 as a family. Did he come with a bow? He is a great gift and I know you are handling with great care! Merry Christmas! Love, hugs, and sloppy cheek kisses for Serik!
The Stansberry's

ametry said...

All yours! congrats!

Unknown said...

oh chandra... yeah!!!
i'm in new zealand about to cry!
it's christmas and you have received such an amazing gift! i'm thrilled to say the least!

all the pecks send hugs kisses and best wishes to you! a merry merry christmas indeed!

xxxo, lisa

Anonymous said...

Chani, the Camp Huckins word you're searching for is CAPERS!

What a wonderful and exciting time - I am so incredibly delighted for you. Can't wait to meet the little guy - this summer?

Sending you tons of love and wishing you all the blessings your hearts can hold,
Ab

Lori said...

Joy!! Hope that you and your son were able to enjoy a great cozy little Christmas Day together. Darn, can't remember when Kurt gets there, but regardless, so happy for the three of you. Can't wait to meet Serik -- miss you and hope to see you soon!